Friday, May 22, 2009

Cognitivism in Practice

The cognitive learning theory, according to Dr. Orey, is an "information processing model, which includes the sensory input of information, the short term memory, and the long term memory" (Laureate Education, 2009). I believe to properly use the cognitive learning theory teachers need to present information for all levels of the information processing model. One way to do this is by "integrating multiple senses in presentations to improve learning" (Orey, 2009).

A good lesson to me incorporates many different learning styles. In my 7th grade Social Studies class, I incorporate graphic organizers, technology, and visual aids to help my students learn the material. I start off every lesson of mine with an essential question and short activity to get the students thinking about the material. I like to use short videos from BrainPOP and United Streaming to help me get my students interested because these resources have a lot of great videos on Social Studies topics. Along with watching the video, I have my students fill in a graphic organizer to help them understand what they are watching and what they need to understand. These are some of the ways I run my daily lessons.

One reason I use multimedia to help my students learn is because Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, and Malenoski (2007) in their book Using technology with classroom instruction that works say "multimedia is very effective because it helps them both activate prior knowledge and develop mental model to help them understand new information" (p. 82). I feel students learn more about Social Studies when they can see and hear actual events or actual footage of topics. According to Dr. Orey, "Paivio's dual coding hypothesis is stated as information is stored in the brain as images and text" (Laureate Education, 2009), so I figure why not help my students store the information by giving them the appropriate types of lessons.

5 comments:

  1. Tony -

    Great post!
    I agree with you that a great lesson must include a focus on the various learning styles in your classroom. In order to do so, yes, we should incorporate technology and as many of the instructional strategies that we were exposed to in our resources for this week.

    What would a typical essntial question and short activity look like in your room? Which other sites besides BrainPop and United Streaming do you suggest? It sounds as if you have been exposed to this for far longer than I! Any tips and pointers would be much appreciated! Thanks!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tony,

    Your social studies lessons sound fun and interesting. I wish I had a teacher like you when I taking social studies in school. My teachers used mostly lecture and text book activities for instruction. Today, I can honestly say I don't remember a single thing from my social studies classes in middle school. I completely agree that by connecting to students' prior knowledge and providing visual aids along with videos, students will put the new information into long-term memories. When multiple connections are made, students will be able to remember declarative information at a future date.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather,

    I mainly use those two sites, but I also use PBS.org and history.com. A short activity at the beginning of the class activity can involve a short video, a discussion question, a song, or anything that I can find that I think will spark my students interest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anthony,
    I agree with you on so many levels. I love to use different techniques to meet the needs of all my students. I love to use PBS.org and history.com as well. I also enjoy using "From Revolution to Reconstruction" for primary sources.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tony,
    Your use of graphic organizers, and the use of multimedia resources in the classroom is an excellent idea. It not only keeps students interested in the topic at hand, but also helps them organize the information. I also use BrainPop and United Streaming with my second grade class. It is wonderful that these websites cover such a vast amount of subjects and topics from various grade levels.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete