Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Behaviorism in Practice

The Behaviorist Theory according to Dr. Orey is based off two things, “Reinforcement of desirable behaviors and punishment of undesirable behaviors” (Laureate Education, 2009). I believe teachers can use technology in many ways to correlate with behaviorism. Teachers can use technology for “Reinforcing Effort” made by the students and to help them with “Homework and Practice” (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007).

Dr. Orey says that “The reinforcement of good behavior is more powerful than the punishment of bad behavior” (Laureate Education, 2009). The reinforcement of effort and good behavior can also be helped by using technology. For instance, at my school I require my students to keep up with their quarter grades, test grades, and benchmark grades on an excel spreadsheet that we print out and put in their notebook. I actually got this idea from a fellow teacher during my first year of teaching. Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski (2007) in their book Using Technology with Classroom Instruction that Works say “Technology makes it easier for students and teachers to track the effects of effort and facilitates more immediate feedback” (p. 156). Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski go on to add effort into their spreadsheets to show students how effort correlates with achievement. This is a great way to show, using technology, how good or bad behavior and effort directly relate to classroom achievement.

Another important aspect of teaching and learning is “Homework and Practice” (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007). The school I teach at is a Title one school and I have noticed over the years that very little students turn homework in. With the advisement of my superiors, I have taken the path of giving homework for remediation. Dr. Orey considers remediation as “a drill and practice activity” (Laureate Education, 2009). Another problem that I have is only 40 percent of my students have computers at home. This makes it difficult for teachers in low socio economic schools to give homework using technology. One way that I use technology to help my students practice Social Studies skills is by giving them online tutorials. Dr. Orey says “The online tutorial is today’s programmed instruction” (Laureate Education, 2009). I currently use websites like Geo-Net, Study Island, and the state CRCT website. I believe they provide my students with the practice of basic knowledge that they need to succeed in Social Studies.

Dr. Orey said that many people don’t follow behaviorism today, but along with him I believe it is very prevalent in the classroom. Two ways that behaviorism is prevalent in today’s classroom is in “Reinforcing Effort” and “Homework and Practice” (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007). I believe the evolution of behaviorism has benefited the teacher of today because of the technology that can be integrated.

3 comments:

  1. Tony -
    I am excited to read that you actually use the excel spreadsheet reinforcement in your classroom! Can you provide any tips or advice, as I would love to incorporate this into my classroom in the fall. Have you learned what to try and what should be done prior, etc. when you implement this type of reinforcement? Instead of a short time period to track effort and achievement, for example, you utilize this all year long? When do you introduce this concept/stratgey to your students? What age/how responsible are your students?

    I am anxious to get feedback on this, Tony. Thank you very much in advance for your willingness to share!

    Also, I have to say that I agree with you in that the concepts set in motion by behaviorists in the past have truly gifted the field of education with valuable tools with which to assist children in the learning process today!
    Heather

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather,
    The best advice I can give you about having your students keep data is to be patient and to stay consistent. If you don't keep up with it well, it won't work well. You need to stay the program and make sure you give them the information they need each time you do this. I give them the excel spreadsheet that they need and also show them each time what they need to do. It takes my 7th graders about a quarter to get it down so they could do it by themselves. I believe students like seeing their improvement and if they don't improve it makes them actually think about their decline. I hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tony-

    Thank you so much for responding. Yes, it does help. It also makes much more sense to know that your students are 7th graders who are plenty computer savvy and responsible to handle this. As with most things in teaching, the good old give 'em as much info as you can and be as consistent as you can! A great reminder that applies to so much in our field! Thank again!

    ReplyDelete