Monday, June 1, 2009

Connectivism and Social Learning in Practice

Dr. Orey says the social learning theory should be "students actively engaged in constructing artifacts and conversing with others" (Laureate Education, 2009). I like my students to see my class as somewhere that can come to talk and learn about social studies. I like to use projects and lessons in my class that incorporate technology. I try to incorporate technology and the social learning theory because they go together very easily. Some lessons that Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski (2007) include in their book that use collaboration, Using technology with classroom instruction that works, are web site creation, multimedia (videos), blogs, wikis, shared bookmarking, web-enables and multipayer simulation games. All of these activities can fit into the social constructivism view of Dr. Orey "work not only being student centered, but peer centered" (Laureate Education, 2009). Technology activities in the classroom can be highly peer centered. Students tend to learn a lot more in a collaborative setting. One reason is because students get to teach each other. Dr. Orey says "Teaching others helps the learner develop a deeper understanding of the content" (Laureate Education, 2009). Students who are working in groups and using technology are not only learning more, but are being trained for the 21st century work place. Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski (2007) say "To be prepared for the fast-paced, virtual workplace that they will inherit, today's students need to be able to learn and produce cooperatively" (pg. 139). I feel by using the appropriate lessons I will be preparing my students for their lives.

Lessons like web site creation, multimedia (videos), blogs, wikis, shared bookmarking, web-enables and multipayer simulation games are all collaborative lessons. Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski (2007) say "Technology can play a unique and vital role in cooperative learning by facilitating group collaboration, providing structure for group tasks, and allowing members of groups to communicate even if they are not working face to face" (Laureate Education, 2009). As my teaching style and the technology available develops, I feel my class will get more collaborative. Right now I would my class is mostly collaboration, but not to the level that I want it. I believe being able to use blogs, wikis, and multiplayer simulation games will make my class even more of a learning experience for my students. I have tried to use all three of these assignments in the past, but my school has not let me use them. The county that I teach in is currently creating a blog site that is monitored by the county and safe for classroom use. I hope to be using this in the fall. I also tried to use a multiplayer game called "Peacemaker" before, but my school woulndn't purchase it for me and it was too expensive for me to purchase it. All of these lessons would be great to use in my class to promote the social learning theory.

5 comments:

  1. Tony -
    I agree with you regarding your statement that social learning theory and technology go together very well. Especially when there are not enough computers, for example, to go around!
    I also agree with your statement connecting the technology done cooperatively in your classroom with the 21st century skills that our students will be required to have upon entering the workplace. Cooperative classwork not only hones social and organizational skills, but it also gives vital practice for those 21st century skills: leadership, self-management, decision-making, goal setting, communication, and the like.
    Of blogs, wikis and multiplayer games, which is your preference to use in your classroom? Why? How else have you used these types of technology in your classroom to promote cooperative and social learning?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anthony,
    I think one of the easily ways to bring collaboration and technology into a lesson is a blog. In my class, I have my students use E-board and through this website the students are able to "blog" or communication with one another. Sometimes I have the students reflect on a primary source or just write their own opinion on a topic. Lastly, the students comment or respond to their classmates. The students really enjoy this assignment or lesson because it is a break from the traditional group assignments. And now a day’s every child love to be on the computer and talking to someone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anthony,
    I think one of the easily ways to bring collaboration and technology into a lesson is a blog. In my class, I have my students use E-board and through this website the students are able to "blog" or communication with one another. Sometimes I have the students reflect on a primary source or just write their own opinion on a topic. Lastly, the students comment or respond to their classmates. The students really enjoy this assignment or lesson because it is a break from the traditional group assignments. And now a day’s every child love to be on the computer and talking to someone.

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anthony,

    I agree that there are a lot of technology-based resources for teachers to implement in the classroom that support social learning and constructivism learning theories. While taking this course and others like this one, I am beginning to create several lessons that incorporate technology along with state standards. It is difficult for me to visualize teaching these lessons because the school district has so many restrictions. Do you find that as frustrating as I do? Along with the district restrictions on the web, I do not have access to a computer projector or smart board every week. This is another obstacle that I have to overcome when trying to incorporate technology into my classroom next year. Do you have any suggestions for me about how to get around these obstacles?

    Thanks,
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jennifer,

    The only way I can get around the restrictions is by asking my principal and not doing anything that will get me in trouble with out getting permission. I would rather keep my job then use a blog and get fired. I also have a projector in my class all the time. Every classroom at my school has them. I also have a hand held smart board. I am very lucky.

    ReplyDelete