Sunday, June 28, 2009

Reflection for Course 6711

After looking back on my “Personal Theory of Learning” I feel this class has confirmed my beliefs. In my “Personal Theory of Learning”, I said “My personal theory on how students learn is that most students learn when they enjoy what they are doing” (Application 1). Throughout this course, Dr. Orey talked about using collaborative assignments, visuals, technology, and artifacts to make learning interesting for students. I had the same beliefs during my “Personal Theory of Learning” and feel I was right in line with teachings of this class.

One adjustment I am planning on making at the beginning of the school year is to use more technology in my classroom. I have always liked to use collaborative lessons, but I don’t use technology as much as I would like to. This course has given me many ideas about how to use technology in a collaborative way. Two types of technology that I plan on using more are blogs and clickers. In my application 7 lesson, I have developed a current event blog that will let students discuss in a collaborative environment using Web 2.0 tools. The other technology that I am planning on using is clickers. I am planning on using them to review for tests and quizzes. I used the clickers once this past year and they were a big hit with the students. Dr. Orey says “Technology as a learning tool includes students using technology as active learners” (Laureate Education, 2009). That is what clickers do. Every student can use the clicker to answer questions given to them, which gives them a sense of having to know the information not just waiting on someone else to answer. That is how I am planning on using technology for the upcoming school year.

Two long-term goal changes that I would like to make are to make my technology use more collaborative and more frequent. Many of the lessons that include technology in my classes of the past were very single student centered. I would like to get students into groups to complete assignments and projects. Along with having more collaborative technology lessons, I would also like to include technology more often. I like to think I use technology a lot in my class, but I want to get to the point were I use technology almost all of the time. I believe my students will enjoy my class a lot more if they get to use technology more than any other class, but I will also feel like I am preparing them and my self for the future. Those are the long term goals that I feel I can make as my teaching career progresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment