Sunday, November 22, 2009

Carrying Out Your GAME Plan

At this point in my class, I have started to incorporate parts of my GAME plan. This past week, I installed a Mimio interactive board in my classroom. Once I installed this technology, my students were automatically interested. In my GAME plan, I want to use technology every single day in the classroom. This interactive board will help me reach my students even more than I could before. The interactive board is just the first step to what I need in my classroom to carry out my plan. I will need technologies such as clickers, lab tops, digital cameras, and digital recorders to continue to meet my plan. Cennamo, Ross, and Ertmer (2010) say “Digital media are a key factor for implementing UDL based on the flexibility they offer both teachers and students” (pg. 126). Having these technologies will help me achieve my GAME plan and assist the students in learning.

Even though I have incorporated the interactive board in my class, I still have a bunch of work to do to completely meet my GAME plan. I feel I still have some lessons and plans that I am having trouble integrating technology with. Some days, I revert back to my old ways of teaching, which include reading and answering questions with pen or pencil. Even though I make my lessons very interactive between students, sometimes I feel I need to incorporate some sort of technology. That is why I am glad I have the interactive board because now I can use more interactive websites in the classroom and not just in the computer lab.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Tony! I think there needs to be a balance between technology and paper and pencil activities. I do not see anything wrong with continuing to do some things the old fashioned way. I teach at a technology magnet school where every student has their own laptop. Even though we have technology at our fingertips, we still continue to do some things the old fashioned way. Personally, I think it would be exhausting for the teacher to use technology with every lesson. Also, I have found that the students also like a balance between the two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anthony,
    In History you need to deal with pictures and images ,have you tried Photo Story 3?. Photo Story 3, is a free program from Microsoft, makes it easy to add music, narration, titles, and special effects to turn your photos and images into movies. Help to promote literacy skills across grade levels and content areas by becoming a digital story teller. It is easy and it is fun. Students need to bring their own digital photos or you can work with sample files that will be provided. The final product can be recorded on a CD on any other electronic device. My daughter worked in a project about the crusades and Marco Polo, was fun, also try http://www.scratch.mit.edu you’ll be surprise with students creativity. Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Anthony,
    You seem to be well on your way with carrying out your GAME plan. It is very imperative to have the digital tools and resources that are needed to carry out the plan. Technology integration should enhance the lessons you present in the classroom (Canter, 2009) so I think it is alright for you to convert back to paper and pencil teaching methods when needed. I also have limited technology in my classroom, but I make the most of the technology I have available to enhance some of the concepts I teach in my classroom.

    Alicia

    Canter, L. (Director). (2009). Integrating Technology across the Content Areas [Motion picture]. In Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer), Skills for the future. Los Angeles: Solution Tree.

    ReplyDelete