Monday, November 30, 2009

Monitoring Your GAME Plan Progress

I mentioned in last week’s blog that I installed a Mimio board into my classroom. Right before the Thanksgiving holiday, I showed my students news coverage of the September 11 attacks on New York and Washington. While I was showing them, I was able to use my interactive board to stop and fast forward the video very easily while never actually leaving the board. Not having to use a remote was wonderful! I was also able to draw over the video with the Mimio markers to point out different things in the news coverage as opposed to using a laser pointer or yard stick. I felt this lesson was a great step forward into my GAME plan.

As of this week, I feel my GAME plan progress has slowed down. I am teaching three extra classes after school and I have four meetings throughout the week. On top of all of this, I have to grade essays about the Israeli and Palestinian conflict. I feel I will not be able to meet my goal of integrating technology into the classroom every single day leading up to winter break. I believe I have the resources to integrate, but not the time. I feel it is real easy right now to use the lessons I already have then to create new ones that take planning time. I don’t feel this being a problem in the future, but in the mean time it is. I guess I feel sometimes like changing my lessons to integrate technology takes more time than I have. In the long run, all of my lessons will adapt over time and I know I can’t do it all in one year.

2 comments:

  1. Tony,

    I am feeling the same way. I can't stop what we are in the middle of to carry out my GAME plan. I use technology almost every day, so I feel I am in a different category than some. I hope to carve out some time after the holidays to implement the next steps of my GAME plan.

    I'm not sure I know what a mimio board is. Is it similar to a Moby? Our math and science teachers have mobys in their classrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tony,

    By just realizing you can't do it all, but that it will take time to adapt all of your lessons, is a giant step in the right direction. Even adapting one lesson a week will benefit your students in the present time, as well as benefitting you next year when you encounter the same material.

    I am amazed every day how flexible we must be at all times in order to maintain sanity. You are on the right track. Don't get discouraged that you can't do it all. It's the little things, the small steps that will bring you success in your GAME plan.

    GOOD LUCK with your Mimio! Jenelle

    ReplyDelete